Friday, August 2, 2019

02/08/19 - Samantha Jade being interviewed for the website "Zanui.com.au"

32 questions with Samantha Jade: "Zanui At Home With"


After styling the homes of Georgia Love & Lee Elliot, Pete Evans and Zoe & Benji Marshall, our next episode of "Zanui At Home With" took us to the beautiful Sydney terrace of the lovely Samantha Jade!


Sam and her fiancé have just moved into a beautiful, light-flooded terrace on the outskirts of the Sydney CBD. Together with our stylist, the ever-wonderful Jackie Brown, and using products from our catalogue, we created two dreamy spaces for the happy couple: one in the living room and one in the master bedroom.

If you haven’t seen the latest episode yet (or even if you have but just want to see it again!), check it out below:


While we filmed, we were lucky enough to get to sit down and chat with Sam. She answered all of our burning questions, from what we can expect from her next album, to her favourite television show (although after the most recent season, we have to wonder if that’s still the case), and the advice she’d give to her younger self!

Keep reading for our full interview with Samantha Jade!

Coast to Coast

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Perth in Australia. I didn’t grow up near the beach like everyone may think! But we did go a lot…

How does it make you feel when you’re back home?

I love going home. I really do try and get back as much as i can. I’m always so happy and relaxed when i’m home. It’s so fun for me because i love to just sit on my couch, with no makeup on and my hair up in a bun and just hang out with my family.


Stylist, Jackie Brown, chose this coastal artwork for Sam’s space because it reminded her of Perth, where both she and Sam grew up.

How long have you lived in Sydney?

I’ve lived in Sydney for u think eight years now, so it’s been quite a while. Oh wow, that actually is quite a long time!

What are the biggest differences about where you grew up and where you live now?

It’s much quieter [in Perth]. It’s a lot smaller and obviously now i live in Sydney, which is a bigger city and a lot busier. I’m also in the thick of it a little here, while at home we were in the suburbs, so if we were going to the city it was a bit of a thing. It was a trip to the city! It was nice that way as well. But i love where i live in Sydney. There’s so many cute cafés and beautiful light and lots of trees, it’s really nice.


All the cute cafes and beautiful trees drew Samantha Jade to the area.

How did you know that this house was the one for you?

We recently just moved home [from London] and it’s always hard to find somewhere because this is where you’re going to live — this is your sanctuary, this is where you’re going to wake up every day! I really just wanted bright, white walls and a really nice place to cook and just hang out in, so when i walked in and i saw the open-plan kind of living area, i was sold.

What’s your favourite spot to hang out in Sydney?

I love a lot of different places in Sydney, but i do love the park at Darling Point, i think it’s just beautiful. You can walk along and see all the boats and also see the beautiful homes and beautiful greenery, and there are lots of dogs running around and you kind of feel like you’re not in the city, it’s nice.

Behind the style


Jackie combined elements of Scandi, coastal, and bohemian styles in Sam’s bedroom.

How would you describe your personal interior style?

I think my personal style is quite simple. I’m not big on having lots of little trinkets everywhere, though i do like to have one or two things around. I think that i need things to be brought to me. I’m quite bad at choosing them, so i need to see it and then i’m like, okay, now i get it! When i first met with Jackie we talked a bit about what my style was and we kind of decided it was a bit Scandinavian / Hamptons and putting those two together is probably something i couldn’t have done on my own!

Did you have any idea of what you wanted out of this home makeover?

When i was working with "Zanui" and Jackie, the only thing i had a strong vision of was kind of the colour scheme. I just wanted to make sure it was tonal and nothing was too loud and Jackie just got me right away — she showed me a picture and i said let’s do it!

What’s your favourite "Zanui" piece?

My favourite Zanui piece is this unbelievable suede chair, I’m in love with it, and it’s something I probably wouldn’t have chosen [for myself], and then when it showed up I’m like, that is now my favourite chair!



Shop the Samantha Jade officially endorsed Fabrienne Armchair from "Castle Road Interiors" online at "Zanui".

All about the Music

How did you get your start in the music industry?

I got my start in the music industry a very long time ago whe i was about 16. I was living in Perth and i had filmed this audition for this thing called "Rumba" at the time and it was like this big music festival and they were looking for a new person to perform. So i submitted my tape — didn’t get in — but it found its way to America and into the hands of someone who knew the labels over there. So i moved over and i got a "Jive Records" deal, which was a really big deal back in the day! When i was 21, i actually left that record company and came back to Australia, so i kind of had the dream happen and then had it taken from me all within a very short amount of time. I moved home, did "The X Factor Australia" and the rest is history!

Did you always know you wanted to be a singer?

I always knew i wanted a career in music. I always loved to sing, i always loved to perform, and when i would go onto the stage and open my mouth and sing, there was just something about that, that feeling, that i couldn’t get anywhere else. But i didn’t know in what way. I think once i got my first record deal, that kind of solidified that i wanted to be a performer forever. There’s a feeling you have when you’re singing on stage that you just can’t really get anywhere else.

What would you say to 16-year-old Samantha Jade if she could see you today?

I would say…don’t judge yourself so much. Just be you and go out there and go for your dreams.


You’ve got some new music coming, can you tell us a little bit about what we can expect from your new album?

I’m so excited about the new chapter with music for me. I feel like, from where i started to now, I’m back to being just who i was in the beginning and like i’m doing music that i really, really love, so i’m really excited for everyone to hear it. The style of the new album is kind of the pop / r&b stuff that i loved growing up 90s. R&b and those kinds of songs were my songs and i was thinking when i went into the studio this time: “What do i want to do? I want to make songs that i want to listen to.” And so i’ve kind of gone back to doing what i always did.

Which musicians influence your music?

My musical influences kind of do change from time to time, but the ones that remain are the Celine Dions and the Whitney Houstons and the people who truly changed, i think, music with their voices. I think that there’s a lot to be said for great singers.

If you could co-write for or with any other musician, who would it be and why?

It would be Ed Sheeran. I think he’s one of the best songwriters of our generation. So i’d be just a fly on the wall in the studio with him and i think i’d learn so much.

Where do you get your inspiration when you’re writing lyrics or composing a song?

Inspiration for me comes from so many different things, but i think actually going into the city and kind of just sitting and seeing different peoples’ lives and how they interact actually brings a lot of inspiration for song-writing. But when i’m in the studio and writing a song, it’s weird where inspiration comes from. It could be from an ad you’ve seen, it could be from a movie, it could be personal experience — a lot of the time it is [personal experience]. But if you’re in a really great place, you kind of still want a sappy sad love song, so you have to draw it from somewhere! So it really depends on the day, actually.

So is it harder to write when you’re happy?

I feel like it’s a little harder to write with diversity when you’re happy because you’re just so on cloud nine, but you still want those songs that give you those moments where you’re listening and you’re crying, so yeah you’ve gotta dig deep.


The multi-layering process of Samantha Jade’s song-writing process is reflected in the textural layers of her new lounge space.

Digging Deeper

If your friends could describe you in three words, what would those words be?

If my friends could describe be in three words I’d hope they’d say that i’m nice because that’s what i strive for the most. Probably pretty hospitable i would think. And probably annoying, at the same time. Yeah. [laughs] Probably a little much sometimes! I’m getting better with age.

What’s something unique or quirky or interesting about you that not many people know?

Oh my Gosh, so something unique and quirky and interesting about me that not many people know…my friend Jules actually said to me the other day: “You and I are the same person – we get along so well, but i don’t understand your obsession with Marvel and all those kind of things: ” I love "The Avengers" and all the superhero movies. I grew up with two brothers so [then] i had no choice, but now i just, yeah, i love those things!

What do you get up to when you’re at home alone?

When i’m home alone there is definitely a television show on. There’s always just a candle burning, television show on, feet up – it’s always such a nice moment for me to come home, it’s really relaxing and it’s my sanctuary.


We’d love to come home and put our feet up in this living room, too.

What’s on repeat on your Spotify playlist right now?

My Spotify playlist would just be probably Leon Bridges and Sam Cooke. Because music is what i do, i like to kind of listen to the old-school classics, like Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra. I think Leon’s the only new thing that i listen to, apart from the occasional Mariah and Ariana.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I hope to be a mum and just happy and still singing and living a great life.

Rapid Fire Bonus Round

Open plan kitchen or dining room?

I probably prefer an open kitchen, but i do like a little bit of both actually. I do sit at my kitchen bench and i’m on my laptop doing my work and then i [also] like to host a dinner party [around the table], so i’m in between.

Favourite TV show at the moment?

I love "Game Of Thrones". I’m absolutely obsessed, my brothers were desperate for me to watch it and I caved and now there’s no turning back for me! I’m obsessed and it’s so bad because I can’t look at social media because i’m way behind! But i love it.


We’re absolutely obsessed with all the natural light flooding this beautiful bedroom.

Cosy, home-cooked meal or fancy dinner eating out?

I prefer a cosy home-cooked meal at home, yeah that’s such a nice thing to be able to just be in the comfort of your home and eat good food.

Bath or shower?

If i have time to have a bath i will definitely say bath.

Favourite song of all time?

“Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers. It’s my dad’s and my song and i have such vivid memories of my mum and dad dancing in the lounge room to it so it really holds a special place in my heart.

Go-to outfit when you’re just hanging out at home?

Just trackies, [they’re] just so comfortable. Anything comfortable!

Biggest pet peeve?

People that have to prove themselves constantly. Yeah, that makes me very uncomfortable and annoyed.

Finish this sentence: A home is only a home for me if…

A home is only a home for me if …there’s love in it, a candle burning, and my feet are up on the couch!

What would you say to any women chasing their dreams today?
I think I’d say, just go and do it, because at one point you will regret it [if you don’t]. You will regret it, and you will sit there going, “What if I did?” So just make that change and go for it!

Credit: [X]

No comments:

Post a Comment